Rare Books Reading Room
RARA Reading Room
Early books and manuscripts reading room
Location: 2nd floor, next to the Circulation Counter
To the RARA Reading Room, you can request:
- materials from the rare books collection (call nos. starting with ‘R’)
- materials published until 1917
- materials from the Estica collection
- materials from the archival collection of the national imprint
- materials from memorial collections
- Estonian newspapers published until 1945 that have not yet been digitised
- UT dissertations
- geographical maps
- works of art
Requested materials will be brought to the RARA Reading Room on work days at 12:00, 15:00 and 17:00. Requests placed after 16:30 will arrive by 10:00 the following morning. Requests placed on Fridays after 16:30, on Saturdays and Sundays will be delivered by Monday morning.
In the RARA Reading Room you can find
- on open shelves, a selection of general encyclopaedias, dictionaries, biographical and bibliographical lexicons, printed catalogues, address books, literature on history, jurisprudence, theology, book history, etc.
- catalogues of special collections (rare books, manuscripts, photos, works of art), inventories of personal archives, and inventories of institutional or organizational archive collections.
- authorised workstation for reading digital legal deposit copies (e-books and other e-publications), stored in the digital archive DIGAR with access restrictions set by the publishers.
You can order digital copies of the requested material and of the books held on the open shelves of the reading room. You can take photos with your personal camera in the silent mode without using the flash and the tripod.