First-year student? Read how to use our services
Welcome to the University of Tartu!
During your studies you will definitely need the help of the library, therefore, take a look at some tips about using our services.
- UT Library is in the middle of the city, on 1 Struve Street
- it is open on Mon-Fri 9-21, Sat-Sun 12-18, phone: 737 5702
- you can also use the subject libraries at different faculties and institutes.
2. BECOME A LIBRARY USER
- register as a UT Library user here
- read about the courses and guide materials we offer
- visit our study area and find a place for different activities in the silent area (3rd floor reading rooms and private work rooms) or in the social area (2nd floor hall and group work rooms)
- discover our open stacks and find books on your own.
4. START USING ONLINE CATALOGUE ESTER
- create a password for the self-service module My ESTER in the online catalogue ESTER. You can check and renew the due dates of your borrowed books in the e-catalogue ESTER and use several other services. Read the user guide here.
5. BORROW, RETURN AND RENEW THE DUE DATES YOURSELF
- you can see the location and call number of the book you need in the online catalogue ESTER
- you can borrow the books by using the self-checker or at the circulation desk on each floor of the library
- books can returned 24/7 to the self-service book drop by the right side of the library entrance or during library hours to the service point in the library or book return box in the lobby
- for renewing the due dates use My ESTER, send a letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 737 5771, 737 5770
- search for research information and articles 24/7 in the databases open for the university members. For a more efficient search for research information we recommend to participate in the information literacy courses.
- Additional information here.
7. FIND YOUR SUBJECT LIBRARIAN
- subject librarians help you in using databases, searching for research information; they also hold information literacy courses.
- contact us: send research information inquiries to email@example.com and 737 5780, and questions about book borrowing to firstname.lastname@example.org and 737 5772
How to use the library services? Watch the video here.
We wish you a success in your studies and in using the library!